In five minutes or less, you can make these delicious, oh-so-healthy Spicy Vegan Lettuce Wraps for lunch, dinner or a snack.
It’s just a bunch of fresh veggies from the farmers market with a little organic firm tofu, some organic hoisin and spices. That’s it! You could even do this raw if you’d like, but I prefer a bit of heat on the veggies to bring out the flavor.
The great thing about this recipe is that almost any veggies can be substituted or added in. The classic components include scallion, garlic, cabbage and hoisin and it’s always vegan.
Tofu is a great source of protein but it’s important to make sure you’re buying organic, non-GMO tofu. If you’re worried about eating soy, please read this article here. It’s certainly confusing, but like eating animal products, I follow the “everything in moderation” adage.
These can be high on the messy eating scale so extra napkins and good company are in order. 🙂
- cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions, green parts only
- 1 portobello mushroom, or 6 shittake mushrooms
- ¼ head red or green cabbage
- 1 medium carrot
- 10 snap peas(can substitute snow peas, zucchini or red pepper)
- 1 5oz. piece firm organic tofu
- Cilantro leaves, small handful(about ¼ cup)
- 3 basil leaves, Thai or regular
- 4 T. organic hoisin sauce
- 1 t. sesame oil
- 2-3 t. sambal olek(chili garlic sauce, can substitute a bit of sriracha)
- 1 T. tamari(or soy sauce)
- sea salt to taste
- Lettuce leaves for wraps: Little Gem, red leaf or green leaf- 1-2 heads depending upon size.
- Take a minute to rinse and dry 10 large lettuce leaves.
- In large saute pan, heat cooking oil until shimmering. Mince garlic, dice scallions and saute briefly on medium high heat.
- Peel portobello and quarter, then slice into ¼ inch slices, adding to pan. Shred carrot, thinly slice cabbage and julienne snap peas, adding to pan. Cook about 2 minutes, moving pan or stirring constantly.
- Dice firm tofu into small cubes and add to pan, stirring to combine ingredients.
- Combine liquid ingredients in small bowl and add to veggie pan, stirring just to combine and warm.
- Rough chop herbs, adding to tofu mixture at last minute and remove from heat.
- Serve lettuce leaves on a platter with tofu veggie mix with extra hoisin sauce on the side.